Resident FAQs

Click on the links below to view some of residents' most frequently asked questions and answers.

I'm planning some home improvements. What approvals do I need?

Before embarking on any home improvement projects, it is important to consult Oradell's Building Information and Requirements page or to speak with someone in the Building Department to find out what permits and / or approvals may be required for your project. Building Department staff can be reached at 201-261-8005, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., or Wednesday from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. The Building Department is located in Room 102 of Borough Hall.

The Building Information and Requirements Web page includes links to the most up-to-date Land Development Ordinances and Borough Codes governing building projects. It also includes an explanation of when and why Building Permits and / or Zoning Permit Approvals may be needed. Other helpful online resources for residents considering home improvements include the Building Department's Office Procedures for Permit Processing and a Home Improvement Project Approvals List.

What is a Zoning Permit — and when do I need one?

Issued by the Borough's Building Department, a Zoning Permit is a "prior approval," which is required before certain types of construction or home improvement projects can begin. Examples of projects that require Zoning Permits include (but are not limited to) sheds, fences, driveways, patios, gazebos, hot tubs, generators, retaining walls, air conditioning units, or any structure or permanent item intended to be placed on a property. To obtain a Zoning Permit, residents must first complete a Zoning Review Application, available in the Building Department or online. A $35 application fee must be submitted with the Zoning Review Application.

How are my tax dollars allocated?

Tax dollars are allocated amongst the following:

  • Municipal & Library
  • Local School
  • Regional School
  • County & County Open Space

How do I set up a direct withdrawal for payment of taxes?

Never pay late fees on your taxes again! You can arrange a direct withdrawal from your bank account by completing the direct withdrawal form, available online or in the Tax Department office at Borough Hall. You will need to submit the printed form, along with a voided check, to the Tax Department. Thereafter, your tax payment will be automatically debited from your checking account when each installment is due.

Can I park on the street overnight?

No overnight parking is permitted on any Borough street between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. If a resident must park on a Borough Street between those hours, please notify the Oradell Police Department in advance to avoid receiving a parking ticket. The Oradell Police Department can be reached at 201-261-0200.

No overnight parking is permitted in any Borough lot unless the vehicle has a special overnight parking sticker. This permit can be obtained from the Oradell Police Department.

How do I report a pothole in one of Oradell's streets?

Please call Oradell's Department of Public Works (DPW) at 201-261-8610 to report potholes. The DPW office is open Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

How do I report fallen trees or branches on Borough property?

Contact the Department of Public Works (DPW) at 201-261-8610 during office hours, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

After normal working hours, please call the Oradell Police Department at 201-261-0200.

How can I reserve meeting space at Borough facilities?

Residents may reserve meeting space at Borough Hall for scouting groups or other community organizations affiliated with Oradell. There is no charge for using the facility. Please contact Deputy Borough Clerk, Melissa Presta at 201-261-8200, ext. 249, or by email, to determine if space is available on your requested date and to find out which room(s) will accommodate your group size.

Oradell Free Public Library also has meeting room space available free of charge during the library's opening hours. The space can be reserved by community non-profit organizations and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Visit the Library's website for details and reservation procedures.

How do I sign up to receive a library card?

To sign up for a library card, visit the main circulation desk at Oradell Free Public Library, located at 375 Kinderkamack Road. Bring proof of Oradell residency (e.g., driver's license, utility bill with Oradell address, tax bill, or lease).